My husband travels all over for work and we never know where he will be from week to week. That makes it difficult to plan lunches for him that require warming up and we didn’t want to keep paying for fast food.
After some digging, we found a sandwich for him to try. They freeze great, he loves the fast and they fill him up (which is a feat in itself!). The best part, they only take mere minutes to throw together, then let them chill and pop them in the oven. Freeze the extras for later or eat it all immediately.
Layer the Sandwiches
Use either the Hawaiian Dinner Rolls or Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls. The subs come precut so they make it even quicker, if you use the dinner rolls just cut them in half and set the tops aside. We always double up, so he has plenty in stock.
For the first layer add your meat. My husband prefers Black Forest Ham, but you can really use anything like turkey, ham or sliced chicken. For a double batch it took a pound of ham. This gives him plenty of meat to fill him up!
Next layer with your cheese or choice. He loves Pepper Jack, so I layered it with 12 slices each batch. Feel free to use Cheddar, Provolone, American, whatever you prefer! Place your tops back over the meat and cheese and set it aside.
Top the Sandwiches
In a small pot over medium heat melt half a cup of butter. Add in one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, one tablespoon minced garlic and one hefty teaspoon spicy mustard. It won’t look the prettiest, but it smells amazing!
Spread your butter mixture over top the sandwiches and coat both batches well. It might seem like a lot, but it is worth every drip! Once you’ve used all the butter, sprinkle about one tablespoon over both batches.
Place them in the fridge for about an hour or so. This will help the butter firm up and give you the best crust. You can skip this step if you are in a hurry, but the bun won’t taste as good!
Once the butter is firm, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cover with foil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until your cheese has melted. Then remove the foil and bake for another 2 minutes. Enjoy!
To freeze them just cut them to your desired size and let them cool completely. Wrap each individual sandwich with a paper towel and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. The paper towel is a MUST to not having a soggy bun when you thaw it and heat it back up!
Place all of the sandwiches in a freezer safe container. They should last about 3 months in the freezer.
Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 Pkg Mini Hawaiian Subs
- 1 lb Black Forest Ham any lunch meat will work
- 24 slices Pepper Jack Cheese any cheese will work
- 1/2 C Butter 1 stick
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Spicy Mustard
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- Cut sandwiches in half if not already precut.
- Layer your ham evenly on both batches of rolls.
- Add your cheese slices over top of the meat, 12 slices each loaf. Place the top of the sandwiches over the cheese and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan add your butter, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic and spciy mustard. Cook until butter and mustard are melted. Whisk together.
- Brush or gently pour your sauce over prepared sandwiches and sprinkle each batch with half the tablespoon of poppy seeds.
- Chill them in the fridge until the butter sauce has firmed up.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 2 minutes for a nice crust.